Everyone has heard the old adage,
“Laughter is the best medicine,”
but recent studies have actually
found health benefits in breaking into a fit of giggles.
Laughter has been found to be a mood booster and energy enhancer,
and it can even help toward burning calories.
The details of ways laughter can help you are:
1. Laughing can help increase the release of infection fighting antibodies while also decreasing the creation of cortisol, effectively improving the immune system.
2. People with diabetes have shown lower blood sugar levels after a good laugh.
3. For those with serious pain, ten minutes of laughter has been shown to translate to approximately two hours of pain relief.
4. Because laughter helps relieve anxiety, it can also be helpful as a muscle relaxant. Plus, the physically calming effects of laughter further reduce stress, helping you relax for up to 45 minutes.
5. Ten to fifteen minutes of solid laughter can burn up to 50 calories. This translates into 4.4 pounds a year, so get giggling.